Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New Toys I Have Yet to Play With

Almost two months ago I bought this blood pressure monitor from WalMart and these Altus fitness bands from a local sporting good store.  I have yet to use the blood pressure monitor and I have fiddled a bit with the fitness bands.  They are both just sitting around, getting dusty. 

The problem is time and making it a habit.  Yes, finding the time is a lame excuse. I am not sure when or how often I should check the my blood pressure.  Once a week, every day? Don't know and there is nothing I can find on the Internet for guide other than it is a good idea to do it regularly.  There is also a bit a trepidation factor, like stepping on a scale. I should keep track of my BP, but I am sometime a little nervous about what I might learn. Of course, it could also be good.  I hope it has improved over the past few months.  The readings are highest in the morning and drop from there.  If am good early in the a. m., it's good for the rest of the day.  I guess that is why people tend do in the morning from heart problems.

My problem with the bands is similar.  From what I have read, the bands are an effective and a not-likely-to-cause-injury form of resistance training, good for my arms and abs and Lord knows I need help there.  The problem is again making it part of the routine, a habit like riding the bike and stepping on the scale.  I usually test the BG, ride for 45 minutes, water the backyard the water demanding plants, eat breakfast, shower and get off to work.  Can I work in 15 to 20 minutes more in the morning?  Arrgh, I guess.   I think I will have to start getting up at 4 a. m. to get it all done.

Well that's the time Jack LaLanne gets up to get his work out done. 
  
Just do it, right?  Stop the whining and the fretting and just start doing it.  It will all work itself out.  Soon it will all be part of my day and I will be the better for it.

Something I also did last week, despite my trepidation, is have my eyes checked.  For the most part, this is pretty easy:  Can you see better with A or B, B or C, B or D.  Piece of cake if that were all there was to it.

The part that makes me nervous is the what I might find out when the pressure is checked.  Both my mom and dad have had glaucoma and I am a good candidate to get it.  Last year my pressure was right at the border between normal and high with the need to start putting drops in my eyes to bring it back down to normal. 

I needn't have worried. The pressure is now half of what it was last time, the visual field test was fine as was the condition of the optic nerve.  Whew, dodged another bullet.  Why did it drop?  Dr. Thomas, the optometrist, didn't know.  Might be the weight loss, might be the exercise, who knows?  One of life's little mysteries, I guess.  I am due to have it checked in six months to see if was just a fluke.

The joys of getting older.

The numbers for today:
  1. Blood Glucose:  125 mg/dl
  2. Weight:  191 mg/dl
  3. Exercise:  45 minutes on the bike
  4. Mood:  6.  I seem to be stuck and business sucks. 
Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Banana, oatmeal with soy milk and craisins and a Texas peach.  None better. 
  • Lunch:  One leg and one wing of chicken, leftovers at work (it's free and I am not proud), tomato and cucumber. 
  • Dinner:  Taco salad.
  • Snacks:  Last of the hummus. Have to make some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment