Tuesday, June 1, 2010

How to Stay Focused...For Me, Anyway

I have often read that the problem many have with diets or attempts to lose weight is keeping on the program, whatever that happens to be:  low carb, low fat, high protein, all meat, no meat, whatever.  After awhile enthusiasm for the mission flags.  In a world filled with wonderful, tempting fare, I understand this.  Food is great stuff and the freedom we enjoy in the United States means there are a lot of smart, dedicated people working day in and and day out to satisfy each and every one or our cravings. 

Some days I would love to forget the whole thing for a fat, juicy cheese burger, a hot fudge sundae and some chocolate chip cookies, all washed down with a couple of cold beers.  For desert, pizza.  Vegetables?  Do thick-cut crispy fries count?

The main thing I do to stay encouraged is something a lot of diet experts say not to do, step on the scale everyday.  Seeing that number pop up every day, good, bad or indifferent, seems to help me keep the goal in mind.  In my case, the goal is 150 lbs.  Every time I get the urge to let go, relax and say heck with the whole thing, I think about where I am and where I want to be.  That seems to keep me on going.

Keeping at it does have it's rewards.  I don't get tired of hearing the compliments of how good I look and how much weight I have lost.  I get a sense of smug satisfaction when I can fit into clothes I haven't worn for years because I was too fat. I fondly review the improved and downright healthful numbers from my blood work showing the progress I have and made the number of years I have added to my life.  The doctor's glowing compliments didn't hurt either.  Then of course there is the sweet soul satisfaction of looking in the mirror and realizing I am looking pretty good, or good looking for me, anyway.  

This morning the scale dipped to 193 lbs.  Well, 193 1/2.  There are two ways to look at this number.  How much further I have to go, which can be a little dispiriting, or how far I have come.  The later is much better.

The numbers for today:
  1. Blood Glucose:  119 mg/dl.  Not too bad.  Could be better. Could also be worse coming off of a holiday weekend.
  2. Weight:  193 1/2 lbs. 
  3. Exercise:  45 minutes on trainer. 
  4. Mood. Resolute, with a hint of smug satisfaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment