Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday and Back to It.

Only a masochist likes to exercise
                                     -Jack LaLanne, fitness superstar  

This is from a guy who goes through a brutul, three hour workout every morning and he is well into his 90's.  He gets up at 4 am to workout and never mind the time he may have gone to bed.  He is up and exercising. He likes the results from his exercise, the broad shoulders, the slim waist, the long, enjoyable life.  He accepts the discipline and the routine to get what he wants.  

That's become my philosophy.  Think past the sheer bother of it all and think about the results.

On Monday mornings the routine starts anew.  After a relaxing weekend, even if it was just working on the yard with my lovely wife, doing the grunt work in 95+ degree heat, I drag myself out of my bed early  in the morning to exercise. When I often get the urge to say the heck with it and go back to bed for even a few more minutes, or just grab a cup of coffee and watch some morning news, I think of Jack LaLanne.  It's my little bit of morning motivation. 

Jack wanted the big muscles.  I am more modest.  I just want a slim waist,  a normal weight (which is translating into a medium sized shirt or a 32 inch waist and normal glucose level that responds, well, normally.  Any added muscle definition is just a bonus. 

The numbers:
  1. Blood Glucsose:  122 mg/dl.  Gettin' better.  Still not where I want it to be, but anything under 130 mg/dl is good, I have read.  Below 110 ml/dg is great, which is to say normal. 
  2. Weight:  190 lbs.  Broke training for second martini on Saturday and second manhattan on Sunday.  Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. 
  3. Exercise:  45 minutes on trainer. 
  4. Mood (on a scale of 1 to 10):  8.  Could be worse and the sun is shinning. 
Menu:
  1. Breakfast:  Banana, oatmeal with craisins and cinnamon and a pear.
  2. Lunch:  Hummus, pita bread, sliced tomato and cucumber.  
  3. Grilled shrimp and two martitnis, my dad's favorite at Goode Company Seafood.  Today would have been his 85th birthday, so Mary and I are going to Goode Company to celebrate his birthday and we will finish up by sharing a slice of their chocolate pie. Chocolate pie was Dad's favorite desert. Happy birthday, Dad.  You have no idea how much I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment