Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday, Splurge Dave

Yep, it is Friday, the day I cast good nutrition and common sense aside, kick back, relax and give in to my inner fat guy.  With in reason, of course. It's our Tony's Mexican Restaurant and Cantina night and I am going to have two margaritas. 

Last night, Mary and I went to a favorite spot for dinner.  Thursday is usually pizza night (one slice only), but I didn't have any dough made up and it was getting late after my Thursday evening chores.  During the summer, Thursday evening is usually the day I mow the grass and vacuum the back patio.  By the time I had finished that and showered up it was nearly 9:00 pm and we are very low on food right now.  So we decided to go out and the Petrol Station was the unanimous choice.  They serve excellent wines, craft beers and serve some A-1, top flight, best-in-city cheese burgers, a lamb burger to die for, the best meatloaf sandwich I have ever had, and a thick corned beef sandwich that can compete with anyone's corned beef sandwich from anywhere.

We like the place. The atmosphere has a college vibe to it.  It's usually noisy and crowed and friendly. 

Ever true to my diet and making sensible choices I forwent  the fattening bar food stuff for the humus plate.  It's big dollop of hummus, toasted pita bread, red pepper, sliced tomatoes and cucumber.  Filling and sensible. I topped it off with two glasses of two different and two very fine India Pale Ales, one from Houston's own St. Arnold's brewery and one brewed by I now forget.  Mary had the caesar salad and a cabernet sauvignon.  I don't know who made that one either. The wine list, like the beer list, changes all of the time.  It is always all good.  The guys who run this place know their beer and wine. 

So what does this have to Spurge Day?  Well this morning my blood glucose tested at 120 ml/dg.  It's not bad, really, but a tad higher then yesterday's proud-to-show-it-off 106 ml/dg.  Must have been the beer.  For all I know it is not that unusual for anyone to have that kind of reading after a day oatmeal, pasta and pinto beans, hummus and beer.  Lots of carbs.  The good news is I dropped about a half pound, or at least the scale was suggesting a 192 1/2.  Tickling it if you will. 

So what does this to do with Splurge Day?  I am doing a miserable job of splurging.  I have the 120 number stuck in my head.  Have to get it back down to below 110 mg/dl.  That is where I want to be when I get up in the morning. That is considered normal.

Breakfast was the usual oatmeal and fruit.  Lunch was a small bowl of soup and two pieces of Texas toast from Houston's (those two pieces of toast may be a splurge of sorts), and dinner will be most likely the grilled fish, which is served with an appropriate serving size of rice and some steamed vegetables. I am going to have my two margaritas. I guess that is my wild abandon. 

Sigh.  It is what it are and I really I can't complain.  Splurge with discipline.  It could be a lot worse and I will have a good meal and enjoy the company of my lovely wife. Hey, life is good.

The numbers for today:
  1. Blood Glucose:  120 mg/dl. Still not bad, considering. 
  2. Weight:  I am going with 193, but I could make a case for 192 1/2. I can't wait until I hit 189.  That will mean 39 lbs more to drop. 
  3. Exercise:  45 minutes on the trainer. 
  4. Mood:  7.  Work sucks, the health is getting better, Mary said my chin is getting smaller.  All in all, not bad. 
Menu:  Some splurge.
  1. Breakfast:  Banana, oatmeal infused with vanilla/blueberry herb tea and an orange.
  2. Lunch.  With the Dogs, Aubrey and Bob at Houston's.  The chilled mango soup with Texas toast.  That's partying.  
  3. Dinner:  Grilled fish at Tony's and two margaritas.  
  4. Snacks:  Only a few carrots.  Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment