Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grapefruit: Miracle fruit or breakfast fruit of death.

The Numbers:
  • Fasting Blood Glucose:  120 mg/dl.  Meh.
  • Weight:  189 lbs. Sigh.  Double sigh.
  • Exercise:  45 minutes on the trainer.  It's was cold this morning.  Cold for Houston, anyway. 
  • Mood:  6.00:  Sales suck.  Stress is a recognized contributor to weight gain.  See number three of seventeen. 
The Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Banana, tangerine, oatmeal with raisins.
  • Lunch:  Leftover Pasta Rustica di Cecil over roasted vegetables and an apple
  • Dinner:  Red beans on toast and turnips and turnip greens.  Very McDougall, but it will be hell on my BG tomorrow I bet.  I seasoned it all with a liberal slathering of Clancy's Fancy Hot sauce.  Kinda wish now I had gotten the extra hot variety. For a Yankee concoction, pretty good stuff.  Just wish I could find it down here. 
  • Snacks:  Pretzels.  Careful to watch the portions. 
Reason 2,348 why I want to avoid having to take medications.

I love grapefruit and have loved since I was a kid.  It's a fixture, usually, at breakfast and the Charming Ms. SWMBO occasionally makes a to die for avocado and grapefruit salad.  I don't want to give it up and here's why.

I also know several people who are or have taken cholesterol lowering medications, such a Lipator. They were all told to avoid grapefruit.

In Texas we grow pink grapefruit in the Rio Grande Valley.  It's the best on earth and that is not Texas puffery.  Sweet and tart, it is either good for you or bad for you.  Good because it can be a nutraceutical,  food that can treat medical conditions or diseases.  Grapefruit contains chemicals that can treat or prevent hardening of the arteries and help prevent some cancers. Bad because those same chemicals can mix with some medications to prevent them from doing their work or worse by turning them toxic. For list of medications that should rendezvous with grapefruit check out this on WebMD.  

Reason number one on why I want to avoid having to take medications is the expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment