Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The drinking man's diet

The numbers bright and early this morning:
  • Fasting Blood Glucose:  114 mg/dl
  • Weight:  188 lbs.
  • Exercise:  45 minutes.  Good ride this morning.  It's very humid here and muscle just seem to love it. 
  • Mood:  8.0.  It's Christmas.  All I want for Christmas is a big weight drop. 
Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Banana, grapefruit, oatmeal with craisins. 
  • Lunch:  Lots of leftovers from yesterday's company Christmas Lunch. I can't eat like this anymore.  I felt miserable all afternoon.
  • Dinner:  Late night trip to the Petrol Station, had my usual hummus plate, which is a good sized dollop of hummus, cucumber, tomato, red pepper and pita bread and one beer.  Not two beers, one. I nursed the heck out of it. The Charming Mrs SWMBO had a cheeseburger.
  • Snacks:  None. 
Anyone remember the Drinking Man's Diet?  I do.  I was in junior high school and delivering my papers on my morning Detroit Free Press route when I heard about this.  I used to carry around a little radio listening to WKNR, Keener 13, a top 40 station in Detroit.  The early morning, late night DJ at the time (I was delivering the papers before 5:00 am) joked about it often.  I think even Mad Magazine made a few jokes out of it for a while.

Well, the book is still out there and the author of it is still alive.  His name is Robert Cameron, he's ninety-three and he looks dapper and fit.  He was the first to promote a high protein, low carb diet.  Given his age and appearance,  the diet certainly works for him.  The book was beat up several years after it was first published as being dangerous because ignored , nay, promoted high fat foods.  You know, the foods that really taste good.  Sales dropped after that, but it initial popularity did afford Mr.Cameron a comfortable life.  He's still publishing, doing coffee table-type books.

Why cocktails as part of the diet?  No carbs.  I think a big underlying theme of his approach is to take care of yourself and enjoy life.  He seems to have done that all very well.

I can drink to that.

His book, first published in 1964 is still in print.  You can order it here:  Drinking Man's Diet.  When came out the price was $1.00.  Now it's up to $4.95. Heck of a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment