Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thoughts on prune juice and other weighty subjects

The numbers:
  • Fasting Blood Glucose:  122mg/dl.  That is what I get for being smug yesterday.  Still, okay.
  • Weight:  189 lbs.  Sigh. Thanksgiving lingers on. 
  • Exercise:  45 minutes on the bike, and I really pushed it.  I feel great.  At least I accomplished something useful today.
  • Mood:  8.00  It's better than it seems.  See below.
Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Banana, tangerine, oatmeal and raisins with soy milk.  Have to get my daily dose of plant sterols.I really don't know what they are, but they are supposed to be good for me and soy has a rich source.
  • Lunch:  Leftover pot roast sandwich (multi-grain bread) and an apple.  Can't find any Michigan apples, the nation's finest.
  • Dinner:  Leftovers again, which is fine. I like leftovers. 
  • Snacks:  One serving of pretzel rods (2.5 rods) and one serving of prunes.  No, I do not have a problem; we just have them and I like them.  
Prunes:
How do they make prune juice from a dried fruit?  Why do Klingon's like prune juice?  Is it similar to a Klingon drink?  Did Quaark ever add a little something extra to Wharf's prune juice? 

Other weighty subjects:
Moving on from prunes, I read this about belly fat. Americans have more of it than the English and have a higher rate of type two diabetes than the English.  It seems to be the best predictor of type two diabetes. Comparing American and English people who have all of the usual symptoms to predict diabetes  -- obesity, high body mass index (bmi), smoking and lower education level all in the a group of age 52 to 85 years old -- the difference that seems to explain the higher rate is flabby bellies.  Our waists are just bigger. 

The thought is that fat inhibits the liver and the liver can no longer absorb and store glucose. 

How explain our bigger bellies?  We eat a higher fat diet and we exercise less.  How to fix this?  Eat less, eat better and exercise more. Duh. It always comes down to that, doesn't it?

Well, my belly has shrunk.  My BMI and weight is still higher than it should be, but I am just about passed the the type 2 condition.  Based on me, there may be something to this. My long ago BA degree from Michigan State (Big 10 Football Champs) still remains. Had to work that in somehow.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment