Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday, A Great Day To Be Alive...

...for no other reason than I feel great. Okay, a little over the top, but feel great this morning. Treating myself to some fine music from Frank Sinatra and Mel Torme helps.

The numbers:
  1. Blood Glucose: 131 mg/dl
  2. Weight: 212
  3. Exercise: Didn't do any, taking Sunday off. Monday, I will be back at it.
  4. Mood: Very good.
Yesterday I also had my once aggressive trail bike modified to a more comfort bike style, or as Mary calls it, my old fart bike. I am happy to admit that. It's very comfortable to ride. Instead of leaning way over, I sit almost upright. It come out higher than I expected, but that is good. It came out better than I expected, so I am happy. I did go for a brief ride before working on the lawn. It's that time of year to start prepping lawn for the summer.

I use the Jerry Baker approach. A good lawn is more the result of good soil, so the first thing I do is work on the soil. I spread a mixture of pelletized lime, pelletized gypsum, bone meal and epsom salts. The lime balances the soil ph, the gypsum helps loosen hard clay soils (and we have hard clay soils here in Houston, black gumbo we call it), the bone meal is a mild fertilizer and the epsom salts provide the manganese that helps green up plants. It's also a great way to get sweaty, first mowing the lawn to get up the remaining leaves and then going over the lawn with soil enhancer concoction in a spreader.

That was steep one. Step two is a spray to help feed the microorganisms that really feed the grass. That is a combination of cola, ammonia, tea and baby shampoo. The cola provides a sugar the bacteria like to eat, the ammonia is good for the plants, the tea contains a substance the roots like to help them accept the nutrients the bacteria provide and baby shampoo is a harmless surfactant. I should have done this yesterday, but I ran out of time. No big deal really.

On to me. Yesterday we cooked late in the evening. Mary did a suburb job on some chicken breasts and a delicious zucchini/tomato stew that we can have later on in the week over rice or pasta. I thought the late dinner, after 9:00 pm was going to give me a high reading this morning, but surprise surprise, it was the lowest reading to date. I would like to dip below 200 before I go back to see the doctor for a follow up in about three weeks, but I don't think I am going to make. I may get close and that will be good enough. I would also like to have reading consistently below 130, but I have to idea if that is doable or not. Like the weight, I know I can get close to it.

Susan Johnson says I should have a blood glucose level of between 70 - 110 after the nightly fast before breakfast. A chart at Kroger's where I go for my pharmacy stuff says my fasting glucose level should be between 90 - 130. By that measurement I am almost at the high end of safe. By Ms. Johnson's standards, I am still high. No doubt, I am doing well and I am happy at my progress. Just gotta keep it up to make it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment