Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Have a Cup of Liquorice Tea and Get a Good Night's Sleep.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Today's Numbers:
  • Fasting Blood Glucose Level:  95 mg/dl. 
  • Weight:  189ish
  • Exercise:  45 minute bike ride (nice and cool this morning)
  • Mood:  7.0  Work is sucky.  
Today's Menu:
  • Breakfast: Oatmeal and craisins infused with apple cinnamon tea, breakfast fruit medley.  
  • Lunch:  Very last of the vegetarian chili.
  • Dinner: Chicken Salad
  • Snacks:  A corn tortilla with a bit of shredded cheddar cheese.
Get your Z's.  
People who get too little sleep, under five hours a night, run a higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes among other bad things, according to this article and this article.  Amazing how information like this comes out the same time.

Me, I have never had a problem sleeping.  I'm usually pretty good at it, but I did have a problem once with the quality of my sleep when I was an undiagnosed diabetic.  I could sleep, or at least lay in bed semi-comatose, for seven, eight or more hours and still feel drowsy.  Late in the afternoon I could barely keep my eyes open.  I struggled to not doze off.  My usual fix was to get a candy bar for a little energy and cup of coffee.  Worst thing I could do, as it turned out. 

For a while I just chalked it all up to getting older.  When first diagnosed, I had a fasting blood glucose level of 270-something mg/dl.  I slept poorly because I was on a constant, massive sugar buzz.  It was type 2 diabetes keeping me from a restful sleep, not age. 

The good news for me was as soon as my glucose level started to drop, I slept deeply once again. Even then I just chalked the deeper sleep up to exercise, never realizing I had just fixed a symptom.  That came months later when I read this.

Should Have Reached for the Liquorice Instead of the Chocolate Bar.
A chemical in liquorice may help control diabetes.  I am going to guess that does not mean liquorice sweetened with sugar.  Would this do the trick, in addition to the other benefits?  Somehow, I can't imagine this tastes any good, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment