Saturday, April 14, 2012

Diabetic News to Make You Confused

April 14, 2012

Got up late and did not check my glucose levels, exercise, or weight check.  It's the weekend so my mood is good, but I have a lot of work to do around the house, so it's not as good as it could be. That will be my exercise for the day.

Fat is Good for Type 2 Diabetics. 
I have often said, lose the fat (or weight, and to my mind, it's pretty much the same) and lose the problem.  Fat blocks glucose absorption.  There is a study that suggests fat produces a protean that blocks glucose. Problem solved, right?  Well, not so fast.

So, in the often contradictory news of diet and diabetes, fat my help people be insulin sensitive.  When glucose levels rise, a gene in fat cells makes a special version of itself that converts glucose into a fatty acid.  You can read about it here.

Confused?  I am.  I am going to guess that for whatever reason, my fat cells did not do what they are supposed to do and convert the glucose into a fatty acid.  Instead my cells may have been making the glucose blocking protein. Why?

Patients with Diabetic Heart Failure Benefit From Higher Glucose Levels. 
Also in the contradictory world of diabetes information, diabetic heart failure patients benefit from higher glucose levels.  The condition that caused the problem helps the problem.

Don't ask me, I just report the stuff.

This only applies to patients who have heart failure caused diabetes.  The diabetes treatment method has been to aggressively treat patients with diabetic heart failure. I am going to guess meant using a glucose lowering drug of some kind.  Patients with non-diabetic heart failure don't benefit from raised glucose levels.

For inspiration, there is this from Johnnie LaRue.  I think the cigarette is a nice touch.






No comments:

Post a Comment