Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Ypsilanti Adventure. No, Really.

I just got back from a trip to see some family in Ypsilanti, MI.  I was there to see my mom, my sister, my new nephew Calvin and her other four kids.  I am a very fortunate Uncle Dave. My nieces are some of the prettiest and charming an uncle could hope to have and the nephews aren't bad, either.

While there, I was not necessarily sticking to my new and developing eating regime.  I am happy to report I still did okay for a guy on a bit of a vacation.  I like to think I was sensible in my indulgences.  I didn't gain any weight, which made me feel really good. Here are a few of my indulgences in no particular order. 

Indulgence Number One:  Baked Oatmeal for Breakfast

Yep, oatmeal.  I stayed at the proverbial charming B&B call the the Parish House Inn.  It's was what I want in lodging, clean and quite. The big plus were the breakfasts that featured a fabulous baked oatmeal.  I mean this stuff was exceptional, like a breakfast desert that's actually good.  When I have some time, I am going to make a batch. The recipe is here.  It's really not that hard and it the variations are almost endless. 

Indulgence Number Two:  The Corner Brewery.

I got in Saturday afternoon and two of my nieces, Charlotte and Maddy, took me to a local micro-brewery called the Corner Brewery after dinner.  The IPA I had was exceptional.  Michigan has some wonderful micro-breweries and this fits right in there (despite the owners being big Democrats; can't be humorless about these things, right?  Good beer is good beer and I bet the employees are not unionized, so this stuff could not be served at the UAW's resort.  They don't know what they are missing, but that's their problem.)

Indulgence Number Three:  Sander's Hot Fudge.

My excuse for buying Sander's Hot Fudge was for my mom, who is in a nursing home.  It made me look like the good son, but real reason is that I wanted it.  Mom was just a convenient excuse.  In the Detroit area this stuff is almost like the center of a cult, a happy cult, a cult open to anyone, a pudgy cult maybe, but a cult nonetheless.  People there will find almost any excuse for something with Sander's Hot Fudge on the top.

All you need to enjoy this stuff is a spoon and in an emergency your fingers will do the trick.  Anything that it goes on top of is strictly optional.  It's perfect on ice cream and a worthy addition on top of almost anything else that is a food stuff.  I just like to eat it straight out of the jar.

I had one sundae and we left the jar and the ice cream we bought at the nursing home.  It was all gone in short order.  Oh well, Mom was happy, along with a lot of other people.

Indulgence Number Four:  A Miller's Cheeseburger.

Miller's Bar is a classic Midwestern corner bar with one exception.  They make the best burgers in the world.  There is no debate on this.  They taste like no other I have had anywhere and served with a timeless, simple elegance.  They stand alone at the top.  They have no equal. 

The patties are spot-on juicy, never greasy, and served only with toppings necessary to enhance and compliment the flavor of the meat: cheese, yellow mustard, catchup, dill pickle chips and white onion.  These culinary gems are served hot off the grill on wax paper. My preferred version is with cheese, mustard, pickles and onion.  Anything else, like lettuce, tomatoes, bacon, and whatnot are better off put in a salad for another time at another place.  They would only cloud the ecstatic taste of these burgers.

These burgers have now transcended four generations of Miller's and I hope it continues for generations to come. 

Indulgence Number Five:  Cottage Inn Pizza. 

Good Lord I love this stuff.  Cottage Inn maybe not make the best pizza I have had, but I am drawing a blank to think of an equal.  What makes this pizza so good is the crust.  It's thick yet light with a flavor all of it's own that highlights the toppings.  The toppings are good, the sauce is good, but standard.  It's the crust that makes this pizza so memorable and it's even good cold for breakfast.  I wish we had them here in Houston.

Indulgence Number Six: Carol's Blueberry Pie.

I saved the best for last, my sister's blueberry pie.  Why is it so good?  She uses butter or lard in the crust, fresh Michigan blueberries, a marvelous streusel, and that magic ingredient, love. Yea, it's corny to say it and it's also true.  I had four very large slices.  Here is a recipe for it and I will tell one and all in advance no one will every make a blueberry pie as good as hers. 

My numbers for the day:
  1. Blood Glucose:  119 mg/dl.  Good.  
  2. Weight:  186.  Not that good. 
  3. Exercise:  45 minutes on the bike.
  4. Mood:  8.0.  Hey, I am on vacation for the rest of the week.  How bad can it be? 
Menu for the day:
  1. Breakfast:  A banana and morning breakfast glop, which is soy yogurt, applesauce and pumpkin granola. 
  2. Lunch: Portobello mushroom sandwich at Empire Cafe with the Charming Mrs. SWMBO.
  3. Dinner:  Homemade pizza while watching Project Runway.  Sue me,  I think the Heidi Klum is beautiful.
  4. Snacks:  Hummus with some Stacy's Pita Chips.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave:

    I'm glad you liked Ypsilanti. Too bad you could not be here for our world famous Heritage Festival which starts today. It is dedicated to autoworkers and their history this year.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete