Wednesday, July 28, 2010

When I found out I was a type 2 diabetic, my doctor reviewed my two choices to fix the problem with me.  The first was medication. The second was diet and exercise.  I chose the second and so far it seems to working well.  Certainly the work so far has been worth the effort and just taking a medication didn't really solve the root cause of it all, bad eating habits and a lack of exercise.  Since obesity is the problem, stop being obese.  Lose the fat, lose the problem. 

It is also a lot cheaper. 

I received an email the other day from Nutrition Data News with an article about a medication used to treat type 2 diabetes, rosiglitazone.  It's often sold under the brand name Avantia.  A bad side effect of the drug is an increase in cardiovascular disease.  Cardiovascular disease is biggest killer of people with type 2 diabetes.  Anyone notice the problem here?

Makes me so glad I chose the course I did. 

This article also talks about the problem of sleep and type 2 diabetes.  That was my problem.  Now I am getting the best sleep I have had in years, just as if I were a teen again.  I think I am sticking with the diet and exercise approach. 

My numbers for today:
  • Blood Glucose:  124 mg/dl.  Creeping up again. Significant?  Don't know.
  • Weight:  186 lbs.  I think I am in a drop phase.  
  • Exercise:  45 minutes peddling. 
  • Mood:  7.5.  Noticed I still have a belly, still considered overweight and still a too high BMI (28.4).
Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Banana, oatmeal flavored with blackberry herbal tea and craisins, kiwi fruit.  
  • Lunch:  Barely pilaf, butternut squash
  • Dinner:  Grilled catfish fish tacos and a small salad. 
  • Snacks:  Last of the fat free artichoke dip and one pita bread.  
Probably too many carbs, but it's all low fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment