Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Silent, Insidious Worldwide Epidemic and I Plan to Celebtate Tonight

My Numbers for Today
  • Fasting Blood Glucose Level:  99 mg/dl
  • Weight: 189 lbs.
  • Exercise:  45 minute bike ride and it was warm and humid this morning, just the way I like it. 
  • Mood:  9.00.  It's my birthday and I feel great despite sucky business. 
Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Oatmeal with craisins, a  fruit salad of Texas ruby red Rio Star grapefruit, sliced strawberries and  grapes.  
  • Lunch:  Massive quantities of pizza and some fruit (I love pizza and it's my birthday, get over it)
  • Dinner:  Rib-eye steak dinner at Tony's Mexican Restaurant and Cantina.  This is a tradition with me, get over it, and I am going to have two Manhattans.  
  • Snacks.  None.  Too much food on the menu already.  It's my birthday and you are getting over it, but I am not getting stupid. 
Diabetes: Worldwide Epidemic.  But Not Today

Okay, I am being a bit flip, it's my birthday and I plan on doing a bit of celebrating.  I have more of them in my past than I will in my future so I plan on making the best of it.  I feel great, I am going to have a fine dinner with my very best friend, The Charming Mrs. SWMBO.

This is my birthday week celebration and it all ends with my anniversary on Monday.  Life is short and I try make the most of it while I can, even the small moments.

Really, life seems to be mostly made up of small moments when I think of it.  Celebrate the moment as the saying goes.  

Behind it all is the acknowledgement that I had a problem and I got over it.  Some say it will dog me for the rest of my life.  Maybe.  In my entirely non-educated view, I beat type 2 diabetes.  I wasn't really hard, it just took some determination and goal setting. The good news is that I am just going to get better.

Today I am 59.  I don't feel any different than I did at 25.  Okay, the knees are a bit creaky, but guys half my age have that and worse, so no big whoop.  As Jack LaLanne once said, "Age is just a number.  It's doesn't mean a thing."  It does, but that is probably the best attitude any of us can have.

I was going to go over this article that diabetes is a growing problem the world over for a variety of reasons.  All but one are avoidable.  But I am not.  I feel good and I am going celebrate a bit of my life.  I am going to enjoy some foods I like and probably should avoid, but I will avoid them tomorrow.  Tomorrow's fasting glucose reading could be a doozy.  If so, I will just get on my bicycle and go for a ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment