Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Monday Moanin'

First off, the numbers:
  • Fasting blood glucose reading:  92 mg/dl   (92, yahoo!)
  • Weight: 190.  Bummer.
  • Exercise:  45 minutes on the trainer.  
  • Blood Pressure:  159/80  Heart rate:  61 bpm.  
  • Mood:  7.0.  Nice long Memorial Day weekend, don't think I ate too much, but I guess I did and the BP number is a bit distressing.  
Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Banana, orange, cup of oatmeal with craisins and soy milk.
  • Lunch:  Beans and rice, about a cup of each.
  • Dinner:  Left over hamburger on a whole wheat bun, a small bowl of pinto beans and a cups worth of potato salad.  
  • Snacks:  One serving of small pretzels, which is about 10 of them. 

The diastolic reading and the heart rate is okay for my blood pressure., but the systolic read is worrisome.  I do take some BP meds normally.  I usually order them online, but I haven't taken them for about a week now.  The prescription has expired and I am waiting for the renewal and the medicine to be sent to me. 

I guess this is a good time to really double down on the diet, watch the proportions and in general be good. One of my goals is to get to a weight that gets me off the BP medicine.  It also gives me a good opportunity to see how effective the medicine is. 

I have also been reading about blood glucose levels, namely what is a fasting level to have. The diabetes councilor I had met with last year said the normal range is between 70 mg/dl and 120 mg/dl.  So, for awhile now I thought I was doing well by being in the low 100.  I have read that 130 mg/dl is good.  I have also read that it should be below 100 mg/dl.  So, what should it be?  Who knows because the experts can't seem to agree. 

Why am I not surprised? 

No comments:

Post a Comment