Monday, January 24, 2011

Good bye, Jack, and thanks for every thing.

First, the numbers.
  • Fasting Blood Glucose:  115 mg/dl.  Not bad considering the big piece of rum cake I had with Tabor Hill Winery's hot fudge sauce made with their Merlot.  Boy, was it rich, which means fattening.  
  • Weight:  189 lbs. 
  • Exercise: 45 minutes of furious peddling.  
  • Mood:  7.0  Okay. It's rainy and cold and overall generally dreary. And my weight is depressingly not going down.
Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Banana, Texas ruby red grapefruit, corn flakes with craisins and soy milk.
  • Lunch:  Three left over BBQ'ed spare ribs from Cotten's Barbecue in Robstown, TX, a cup sized blog of sweet potatoes and an apple.
  • Dinner:  Fish Taco with fat free refried beans.  The sauce we make for this stuff is easy and delicious.  We use low fat mayo, sour cream and yogurt. 
  • Snacks:  A few dried dates and apricots. 
So long, Jack, and thanks for the inspiration. 
I usually get up at 5:00 am to exercise.  Some days it's admittedly to get out of bed than others, and when it's one of those days when getting up is hard, I think of Jack LaLanne.  He always got up at 4:00 am, everyday, for a 2 to 3 hour workout, 7 days a week.  At the time I get out of bed, he's already been at it for an hour.  When I am heading out the door for work, showered, shaved and fed, he's still at it.  When I didn't want to get up, I thought of him and his dedication.  That gave me the boost to up and get going. 

But no longer.

Jack LaLanne passed away yesterday of pneumonia. He was 96 years old.  I had hoped he was going to make it to 100, but 96 of mostly robust, healthy years is amazing.  Here he is on his 95th birthday.



I remember my mom watching and exercising with him back in the 50's and 60's.  The organ in the background, the hokey sets, his dogs wandering around on the set, all on glorious black and white TV.  I think the only equipment he used was a chair.  Who knew it was tool to get in shape?  If he didn't start the health and exercise industry, he sure got it revved up.  His enthusiasm and passion was contagious.



So long Jack.  I want to make it to my 50th wedding anniversary in good health.  That is my goal and I will be 95 if I do make it.  Jack, if I do, you helped give me the inspiration to get there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment