Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Chocolate. Is There Anything It Can't Do?

Because I have been bad about posting, the numbers.
  • Fasting Blood Glucose:  125 mg/dl.  Good, not great. 
  • Weight:  186 lbs.  More like 185 1/2, but whose counting?  Well, me.  I am tired of this plateau and I want to get down.
  • Exercise:  45 minutes of heavy sweatin' cycling. 
  • Mood:  7.5.  Could be a lot worse. 
Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Banana, oatmeal with craisins and strawberries. 
  • Lunch:  Leftover something.  We have a lot in the fridge. 
  • Dinner Pasta Rustica, but with a twist.  The Darling Mrs. SWMBO wants to substitute spaghetti squash for the pasta.  Easily done. 
  • Snacks:  Pretzels.
We have a neighbor who is on a diet.  She has lost I think it was over 70 lbs and she want to lose more.  Good for her.  She is inspiring.  She, like me, will get a sudden craving for chocolate, so she and her husband will take a vigorous walk done to a local dollar store and get something chocolate.  Lately, her craving of choice has been M&M's.  Man, talk about developing some good habits.  Exercise and chocolate.

The happy news is, chocolate can be good for you.  I have read that it is the most chemically complex food substance we put can put in our bodies.  It has a chemical for any mood or need.  Need to calm down, chocolate can help.  Need to get a bit up, chocolate has you covered there.  It's also good for your heart, within moderation.  From this study, the key is to indulge only a few times a month and make it high-quality chocolate, which means something made from high-density cocoa powder, which I am taking to mean dark chocolate, which happens to be my favorite. (Well, anything made from chocolate happens to be my favorite, but so what.)

I am not sure how much a serving is, but I am sure it is much smaller than I would like.  Here is one of my current favorites, Brix.  It's made to go with red wine, which is also good for your heart.  So, I get a twofer, two faves good for my heart and all I have to do is sit back and enjoy. 

Life is gook.

No comments:

Post a Comment