Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On a Monday Moanin': Why You Should Eat Lots of Peaches, Plums and Nectarines.

Inflammation shows up a lot in diabetes news.  Today, sleep apnea in diabetics leads to inflammation leads to nerve damage.  Psoriasis leads to inflammation leads to type two diabetes.  Today there is also a tasty potential fix for it now coming into season, peaches, plums and nectarines.  Sort of.  Well, if nothing else it is a good reason to pig out. 

But first,

The Numbers:
  • Fasting Blood Glucose Level:  89mg/dl.  I would pat myself on the back, but I might strain something, so I will just take a bow.  Lowest reading I have had yet.  Finally made it to the 80's.  
  • Weight:  189 lbs.  Up two pounds.  Was away for my father-in-law's funeral services and it's amazing what we eat when a way.  
  • Exercise:  45 minute bike ride.  Been five days off the bike and towards the end, felt like it.  
  • Mood:  9.0.  See fasting blood glucose level.
The Menu:
  • Breakfast:  Morning fruit medley and baked oatmeal, leftover from last week.  It was a hit with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law. 
  • Lunch: Some very spicy tamales.  So much for the diet and the 89 level.
  • Dinner:  Fish tacos. 
  • Snacks.  A few almonds.

Diabetic Sleep Apnea May Cause Nerve Damage

In my chunkier days, the Charming Mrs. SWMBO often complained of my loud snoring.  I never heard myself, so I didn't really didn't believe it.  After losing weight, I stopped snoring.   I know  this because the Charming Mrs. SWMBO tells me so.  I do know that I sleep better than I did.

I was lucky, because it could have been a lot worse.  Neuropathy, or nerve damage, is a common problem for diabetics who don't or can't control their blood glucose.  Mostly, the problem shows up in the patients extremities, usually the feet, but also in major organs.  It's a painful condition that can't be cured, just controlled at best.

Sleep apnea is associated with inflammation and oxidative stress, condiditions thought to be associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy.  A sleep apnea study did show "234 adults with type 2 diabetes found that sleep apnea was independently associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy even after the researchers accounted for a number of other possible factors, including obesity, ethnicity, gender, age at diabetes diagnosis, and the length of time a person had diabetes."  The study did not show a cause  and effect relationship.

That is for another study for another day.  For now, try to fix the sleep apnea through diet and exercise.From personal experience, it does work. 

Psoriasis Is a Trigger for Type 2 Diabetes

A new trigger for skinny diabetes  is psoriasis.  This is from a study from the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. Both conditions are caused by chronic inflammation and both have a common "pathway"  that can cause insulin resistance.  Psoriasis has also been associated with metabolic syndrome, the unholy group of conditions that can lead to heart disease, stroke and diabetes. 

The treatment is medication, mostly. 

Peaches, Plums and Nectarines to the Rescue

One way to deal with the symptoms of obesity, diabetes and metabolic syndrome in general is to scarf down massive quantities of peaches, plums and nectarines.  These fruits contain bioactive compounds that can have anti-obesity, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties.

How much you would have to consume to have any effect was never mentioned, but who cares?  It's all tasty and since these stone fruits are now coming into season, it's a good reason to indulge.

Note: This was supposed to posted last evening, but Comcast's service crashed last night.  No way am I going to not tell of an 89 mg/dl fasting blood glucose level.

No comments:

Post a Comment